"Even the Worst Weather"

Happy New Year, Stitching Friends!

My how time flies. I kept thinking I would have a finish to share by Christmas, but I'm not QUITE there. I have been working on the Jane Austen Christmas Stocking, and thought I should at least share my progress. Here I was last time I wrote, in November:

and here I am now - almost there:





We had a lovely visit from my sister-in-law and her boyfriend, and did indeed "think little of even the worst weather" when Christmas brought record-breaking snows to Philadelphia. We stayed indoors, mostly, sleeping in and having cozy breakfasts in the afternoon, but ventured out for a walk from time to time:


(we have a Danish tradition of making Aebleskivers at Christmastime)

(My DH enjoyed torturing his sister with giant snowballs)

One of the highlights of our Christmas was the cooking. We made a fabulous "Julie and Julia" inspired French feast thanks to my mother-in-law's generous gift of "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" and some gift certificates to Trader Joe's. On the menu, we had ... bacon-wrapped dates and ratatouille to start, roast duck, chestnut and sausage stuffing, roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon (bacon makes everything better), arugala with green apple, dried cherries, and candied pecans in a white balsamic vinaigrette, and from scratch walnut fougasse (a gorgeous leaf-shaped flat bread). The meal took about 10 hours to make on Christmas Eve and I did it at 8 1/2 months preggers - woot!
Walnut Fougasse

And of course Philo enjoyed the ribbons and paper.

I have a few January goals... will be back soon to post about those.
Hoping you are all happy and well -- Blessings for 2010!

Comments

staci said…
Your JA stocking is just lovely...such beautiful stitching! The snow looks so festive :) And the food (and menu!)~~Delicious!!!

Hope you can now take the last few days easy before your new arrival :)
Nancy said…
Happy New Year Rachel! I was just thinking about you yesterday.

Your Jane Austen stocking is going to be gorgeous! Your stitching is always perfection.

Your menu sounds wonderful, and I love your snowy pictures. We haven't had one flake here, which isn't surprising.

Take care, and look forward to reading and seeing more from you!
Deb said…
I just love your stocking progress. I can't wait to see it finished. I may just have to add that to my stash!!
Kim B said…
Your stocking looks fantastic! And it sounds like Christmas was lovely for you too!
BeckySC said…
Gorgeous stitching :)
Love the snow pics...I love to see it in pictures but I am BOT a snow girl :) We are SO cold here in SC this week (actually for the past week) and into this new week and we have the "s" word in the forecast for Thursday....OOOH- I hope not!!!
Have a great week :)
((hugs))
Devon said…
Love your stocking it is looking lovely,,,hey I am having a giveaway over on my blog in fact for a jane austen pattern,,so drop on over there,,

www.devonstitching.blogspot.com
Sally said…
Oh wow I absolutely adore your JA stocking. It is gorgeous.

Lovely pictures :)
Catherine said…
Your sitching is beautiful!

Enjoy your time before the new little one arrives!
Katrina said…
LOL, cute kitty! He looks very comfy :-).

Your stocking is gorgeous.
Brigitte said…
Your stitching on the JA stocking is so beautiful.
Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year!
Zsuzsa said…
very nice works!
Anonymous said…
Your stocking is looking great. and what lovely snow.
Kajsa said…
Your stitching is beautiful! Sounds like a wonderful Christmas!
Teri said…
The stitching and colors on the stocking look wonderful! Lovely snow pictures and yummy sounding meal. Best wishes for a happy new year!
Anne S said…
Your stock is looking wonderful. And the Christmas menu sounds absolutely divine!!

All the very best for 2010 - hope it's a year filled with wonders of all kinds for you and your family :)
Sonda said…
The stocking looks wonderful! Hope you have a Happy New Year!
Jeanne said…
Sounds like a wonderful holiday Rachel. My family (German heritage) has made those same things you call aebleskivers - we call them fritters but I noticed that 'aebleskivers' was the name on the box when I bought my own pan some years back. We traditionally make them on Christmas Eve. Love your Jane stocking and thanks for the lvoely winter photos. Hope all is well leading up to the expected joyous event!

Popular Posts